Depression is a serious mental disorder which affects the quality of life of the patient. In US alone 16 million people are considered to be under the grip of depression. This is a serious mental problem that affects the thinking process of the patient. Symptoms of depression can easily be mitigated by undergoing treatments like counseling sessions, meditation, therapy, exercise etc. when any of these strategies are not giving any positive results the patient is left in a helpless condition.
Today there are many therapeutic centers where depression is treated in an experimental manner making use of any of the treatment options mentioned above. In this article I am going to explain some simple and effective ways to make a person feel happy even if depression has become a part and parcel of his life.
- Revisit the past: When a person is haunted by the ill effects of depression, revisiting the past has been found to give a smoothening effect to the patient. Reliving the beautiful moments of the earlier life and engaging in activities that were dearer to him during those days have been found to have a great impact on the person in bringing back the lost interest in life.
- Set the bar low: Depression is a disease which lowers ones interest in life and keeps him away from social company and connected activities. Such persons are advises to set level goals low and be satisfied with the present life so that their mind is contented and does not add to the depressive feelings.
- Stay active: It is important that the depressive persons should be more active and taking part in different activities of life to keep away the burden of depressive feelings. Doing yoga regularly or taking part in meditation or doing some cardio exercises like jogging, cycling etc have always been found to be a smoothening to the troubled mind of a depression patient.
- Watch what you eat: Anti- depressant or anti-anxiety activity are stimulated by consuming some foods. Cheese and chicken are found to contain tryptophan. Your blood pressure level will be increased by consuming salt which will increase your anxiety. Carbohydrates and processed food have a tendency to make you sluggish. So consult a psychiatrist and decide what type of food will be suitable for you.
- Watch what you drink: Consuming one or two pegs of alcohol may be helpful in relaxing you. But if the quantity increased uncontrollably, it will only contribute to anxiety and increased depression. Similarly, a small amount of caffeine can give you a boost. It causes the release of adrenalin. Adrenalin can contribute to panic attacks.